Cloud Migration Blog
Cloud to Cloud Migration: Overcoming the ChallengesBy Jim Jordan on Sep 19, 2018 10:41:19 AM
Cloud migration is now the new buzzword in the world of business. The leadership of nearly every company knows what this process is and what it means for the long-term growth of their business. But taking a company’s workloads from on premise and migrating them to the cloud is not the only scenario. What does a company do when it already stores its data in a cloud but wants to relocate it to another service provider? How can a company ensure a multi-cloud strategy without affecting business operations? These are just two examples of why companies might want to carry out a cloud to cloud migration.
At first glance, it may seem pretty straightforward to move workloads around once they are in the cloud. But in reality, it requires deep expertise and experience to ensure a smooth migration without failures along the way. A company must make sure it has a trusted partner to help it migrate safely and securely from one cloud to another. The RiverMeadow SaaS is the ideal solution to address this challenge according to a recent benchmark study carried out by Rick Blaisdell.
Before discussing the challenges that companies might experience during a cloud to cloud migration, we should first explain why a company would want to migrate to a different cloud in the first place.
Why Would Companies Migrate From One Cloud to Another?
When selecting their first cloud provider, many companies don’t take into account all the variables that make a cloud a good fit. It could also be that a company only considers the factors that are essential for the short to medium term. But remember, needs change.
Here are a few specific reasons why a company might want to migrate to another cloud:
- Lower costs
- Increased reliability
- Increased security
- Better scalability to accommodate growth
- Improved performance due to new software
- A change in business environment, which requires additional cloud features or functions
- The current platform is not keeping up with the company’s needs
- Improved integration
In all these situations, a cloud to cloud migration is the best option. However, even for those companies who have had prior experience of migrating to the cloud, it is often not as simple as it seems and can prove challenging. Fortunately, there are ways to solve these problems before they even become, well, problems!
Cloud to Cloud Migration Challenges
Here are some of the most common challenges a company can face when it comes to cloud:
- Migrating Workloads. Transferring applications, data and servers between cloud providers requires detailed planning and process. Just as it is when transferring workloads from on-prem to a cloud, these need to be moved over a secure connection between clouds. A common challenge is speed at which data downloads, which can bring additional costs
- Downtime. When migrating from one cloud to another, downtime is a big risk. It’s essential to ensure data consistency, examine the connection to the network, and prepare for the possibility of internal applications going down during the migration.
- Adapting to the new cloud environment. In many cases, a company chooses custom-built applications for a specific cloud provider. But when migrating to another provider, there might be some issues in adapting these customizations to the new cloud’s capabilities. For this situation, a company has to anticipate the time required to reconfigure apps and then harness the benefits of the new platform.
- Budgeting and timing. These two parts of the migration have to be considered, both when migrating from a server to the cloud and from one cloud to another. In this stage, a company has to consider hiring a migration partner that can ensure a fast and affordable migration.
How Can RiverMeadow SaaS Solve These Challenges?
As we’ve laid out above, many challenges can occur when migrating from one cloud to another. Fortunately, each problem has a solution, and RiverMeadow’s SaaS can help you find it. Thanks to our unique mix of capabilities, you can move your workloads to another cloud without jeopardizing applications or data and, perhaps more importantly, day-to-day business operations.
Moreover, RiverMeadow ensures that your cloud migration is safe and secure and we will help you reach the cloud destination of your choice with ease and speed. We’re a great match with any cloud you wish to move to, as we are the only migration platform that offers support for multiple cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, and VMware.